Friday, April 13, 2012

Boston Marathon: A change in plans for Shannon Roof
Greensboro's Shannon Roof will run her second Boston Marathon on Monday.
But Heartbreak Hill has arrived a bit prematurely. Roof, 30, developed bursitis in her heel in mid-March while running on a treadmill.


"Training had been going incredibly well," Roof says.
So instead of setting out from Hopkinton, Mass., in search of a finishing time around two hours and 55 minutes, she'll have to back off the pace and take it easy, running alongside her coach, David Duggan of High Point.
That's a disappointment, of course, for Roof, a veteran of five marathons who requalified for Boston 2012 with her time of 3:10:26 in last April's race. In October 2011, Roof cut her time by eight more minutes when she finished third among the women in 3:02:23 at the fast Steamtown Marathon in Scranton, Pa.
Roof answered questions by email about her injury and about Monday's race, and she also talks about one lofty goal:
RS: What does your injury feel like? And what’s been the remedy?
Roof: It's a sharp pain that made it sore to even walk. I took oral steroids, had a cortisone shot, and did not run AT ALL for three weeks. I only cycled. The heel finally got better after wearing a walking boot. However, I now have extreme soreness and pain in my calves from being off for three weeks.
RS: How do you expect this experience to be different for you, from the time you arrive in Boston until you reach the finish line?
Roof: I want to enjoy the experience this year. Last year I was VERY nervous and anxious. This year since I am not racing for a time, I want to finish without any more pain than I start with (I know there will be some) and to most importantly have fun. I am taking a camera with me and going to document the entire race. I also am not going to have the chip on me, so no one can track me.
RS: Regardless of gender, you’re one of the fastest marathon runners in the Triad. How have you been able to develop this level of speed?
Roof: "I am relatively new to running, less than five years. But I am a very determined person, so I think this helps. If I put my mind to something I will achieve it. Running is at least 90 percent mental, I firmly believe, so as long as I keep my head in the race, I will do well.
RS: What would you consider your best marathon performance, and why?
Roof: I would honestly say my first Marine Corps Marathon in 2009. I had no clue what type of ability I had and ended up qualifying for Boston in my first marathon (3:37). I enjoyed the run and had fun. I wasn’t as stressed about the time since I had no idea what my capabilities were. Now when I race, I put a lot more pressure on myself since I know I can do even better.
RS: How is David helping you as a coach, and what’s your goal with him?
Roof: David is an amazing coach, mentor and friend. He knows I have the ability to be an elite runner, and together we are determined to reach that goal. He is able to judge how I feel – whether it be pressure from work, life, family, etc. – and know what type of workout I need that day. He is incredibly in tune with the runners he coaches and is one of the most knowledgeable people I know.
RS: What's your favorite place to run in the area?
Roof: Salem Lake and the Irving Park area are my favorites.
RS: What do you really want to achieve?
Roof: Well I hate to put this in writing because now I will actually have to strive to make it a reality. But my ultimate goal is the Olympic Trials in 2016.
 
Posted by Eddie Wooten on Friday, April 13, 2012at9:43 am

No comments:

Post a Comment